St. Lucia Friday/Saturday

Well, we’re down to our last day and a half in paradise and I’m as sad now as I was last week living it! But seriously, we knew Friday was our last real day so we had planned a day worth of laying by the pool and of course, there was that relentless pursuit of the mini, beaded, leather sandals. I hope I’ve built this up properly because Banana Boy would not stop talking about the sandals and how he wanted them.
We met up with our friends, drank some Cool Runnings and Dirty Bananas and just hung out. Around 11am there was a pool volleyball game. This time it was just the 4 of us vs. three boys and a girl. I was a little concerned about our chances, especially because we would only play one game this time, winner takes all. Also, I had on a strapless top this day so every time I jumped or dove (remember, I’m not nearly as agile in the water as I am on land) there was danger of it falling off. Banana Boy wondered if we might get extra points for that and we all decided I should just take one for the team and find out. Luckily, it stayed put, or at least I was under water adjusting it each time it fell scandalously low. We did end up winning (no thanks to my terrible efforts) so we got our bonus points.
Points Update: There was a constant debate about how many points you actually needed and if you could combine points with the wife so Banana Boy finally asked someone. The verdict: 120 points individually to get your sandals. At this point we had somewhere around 40 each. Ouch. Brian, our friend, and I tried to convince BB that it was impossible at this point to get the sandals. He was relentless.
As the pursuit of sandals continued we entered a scavenger hunt. We ran around the resort looking for obscure items and taking photos of them. Luckily I had brought many of the items with us so one stop to our room knocked out about 1/4 of the list. I got annoyed somewhere around this point and went back to my lounge chair. There was plenty of skin that was not yet sunburned! Speaking of, I wore a hat most of Friday because I had burned my scalp and it HURT. I was also doing some serious damage to my forearms and wrists. I’ve never burned my wrists before and it was brutal. They got burned Wed, they were basically the only thing exposed all day Thursday, and on Friday I could literally feel them frying. It was the last day people, I had to make a sacrifice. Let’s just say, I paid the price on that one. My wrists are peeling as we speak. (As is my scalp, which is a beautiful thing, I look like I have the worst case of dandruff you’ve ever seen.) BB came back after getting our points and said we had about 20 photos while the winner had 60something. Awesome.
It was about this time that he and Brian went to inquire about the Banana Eating Contest, yet another point opportunity. They came back oh so proud of themselves telling us they had been told that everyone who enters will get sandals! BB could see the finish line and he was pumped. I tried to argue that the announcement over the loud speaker made it sound like only the winner got sandals but they assured me they had been told by the guy in charge. We continued drinking and damaging our skin until it threatened rain and we decided it was time for lunch. Lunch was slow (as was all the food service) and we were a little intoxicated so we lost track of time. Suddenly BB was concerned, “what time is it?” It was 2:30pm, the contest began at 2:30pm! We RAN back to the main pool in time to see the end of the contest. We were crushed. But not BB. He’s a master at talking people into things. Need to turn a paper in late? Forgot to pay that bill? No problem, BB will call and somehow convince them to give you an extension. And they’ll be happy about it. It’s amazing. He talked the guys into letting us play our own game, but he let us know that only the winner gets the sandals. The boys tried to explain that they had been told everyone would get one but the “playmakers” were hearing none of it, they reminded them that they were already giving us the chance at one after we’d missed the actual competition. Brian decided to let me compete against BB because that way he was assured the sandals. This is how obsessed he was, our friends were more concerned about him getting a pair than themselves. They had almost run out of bananas at this point so it would be a contest of who could eat the banana faster, not who could eat the most. This was good since we’d just eaten lunch.
We were blind folded because they said in the past someone had chocked when they saw how fast the other guy ate. Gross. I wasn’t sure I could even peel it blindfolded but I was sure I could beat him. Here’s about the time Brian yelled, “that’s not a banana!” I’m sure it was a distraction technique and obviously it worked cause I’m laughing while BB is focused. (ps – that’s my swimsuit cover up, from Target. I saw 4 other women with the same on just on the resort but none of them were white, I guess that’s not a smart color for swimsuit cover ups?)
I’m chomping away at this banana when I hear BB say, “DONE!” And I’m like, “Ah crap. Seriously?” I took off my blind fold to see that I’d only eaten about 1/2 a banana and BB was, honestly, done. Boo. I may have booed. While still swallowing. (That’s what she said! Hey-oh!) Anyway, BB got his sandals:
And I got my days worth of potassium. The mini, beaded, leather sandals were…disappointing. But he was proud. And I was no longer forced to participate in every activity Sandals could come up with.
It was about this time BB’s fascination moved onto one of the playmaker shirts. (Those guys in blue behind Chris are the playmakers and their shirts say “playmaker” on the back) I know what I’m getting BB for his birthday.
Our friends had signed up for a sunset booze cruise so they left around 4pm to get ready for that. We headed down to the beach for a little last minute beach time.

That’s the swimsuit top I bought from Target right before we left. The bottoms go to a VS suit I bought last year. The top has ruffles which you can’t see but it’s super cute.

We headed back to our room for a little rest (and lots of aloe). When our friends got back we headed to Armondos, an Italian restaurant, for dinner. It was super yummy. And really pretty. And….drum roll please…dessert. was. awesome! Yes! Sandals and good dessert all in one day? This really is paradise.
BB wanted a picture of all 4 of us and I’m glad he did cause it was one of the best photos we took all week.

Yeah, sunburn! Look at those arms and my wrist. Oh, and my chest. And my face. And BBs face. Ouch!

Saturday we were scheduled to leave at 12pm. Our friends were on the same flight as us and were also scheduled to leave at 12pm. We sat around the lobby for awhile and awaited our fun ride to the airport. They loaded van after van until BB and I and one other couple were the only ones left. Somehow we both got missed. Annoying. They got another van and found a couple other couples to come with us. We were told we had to be at the airport 3 hours before our flight (which was scheduled at 4pm). We left the resort at 12:30pm for an hour van ride. I was a little anxious but I was sure we didn’t REALLY need 3 hours at the airport. I mean it’s a tiny airport but from talking with other people I knew there were only 3 planes leaving that afternoon. How long could it take?

We started our annoying journey to the airport. BB took several videos on our camera trying to show the craptasticness (it’s a word) of the ride. If you’re interested I’ll try to post one. Don’t blame me if you get carsick watching it. We were armed with Dramamine this time so we both did much better than the ride in. Our driver was really strange this time and this girl in front of us kept trying to talk to him which was super annoying to him and me. She asked if he could turn on the radio and he said that it was broken. And then he turned it on. What? Then, out of nowhere he pulls over to the side of the road (but totally still on the road) and without a word jumps out of the van. We’re all looking at each other like this is some kind of scary movie and we’re wondering which couple is going to slaughter first.

(Ok, perhaps only I thought that) He had stopped to pick up some yams. On the side of the road. Now, I’m an impatient person by design, and when I’m already a little “late” and in a situation where you are at the mercy of other people I get really impatient. I was pissed. And it showed all over my face. BB and the rest of the van thought it was hilarious and they all snapped photos (like this one BB took) and made jokes about dinner.

When the driver finally got back in the car, his “friend” asked if those were yams he’d gotten. He told her they were wild yams and really good. He also told her that woman wouldn’t have been there if he’d waited to stop until his return trip because they were that good. Right.

We made it to the airport just after our friends, who had left 1/2 an hour earlier. They told us their driver kept getting passed by other vans and we relayed our yam story. We checked in, went through customs, went through security, got something to eat and were sitting in front of our “gate” by 2pm. So yes, we totally need to be there 3 hours early, uh huh. I decided they tell you that so you’ll buy the over priced crap they have at the stores because everyone was buying something. We bought a small gift for my mom (we got his mom something small earlier in the week) and a shot glass for ourselves (we collect them). I decided it was really sad that we hadn’t gotten ourselves anything but a shot glass to remember our honeymoon. So we bought some rum. We decided we needed white rum to make dirty bananas, cool runnings, and kiss kiss’s at home.

Once it was finally time to board we walked through the “gate”, a door and out to the tarmac to walk up those steps again onto our plane. Once everyone was on we realized that both us and our friends had empty seats on the aisle which was huge. We had so much more room to spread out that the ride was almost comfortable. I was deep into a romance novel (which I NEVER read) that I had bought accidentally so I read that the entire trip to ATL. The only downside was the young child behind us. And his dad who kept hanging his coat over the back of my seat. Dude, it’s my seat, not yours, what the f? BB kept telling me to push it off but I was too scared. The kid kept kicking his seat and I was about to turn around and tell that mother to make him stop or I would but I kept it together and just cursed them under my breath. I get it, people. I don’t have kids, I don’t know what it’s like, blah, blah, blah! Don’t take your 6 year old on a 4 hour plane flight unless they can handle it!

When we arrived, the fun began. We had to get off the plane (we were in row 35), go through customs, wait for our bags (ours and our friends were some of the last bags off the plane of course), put the rum in our checked bags (cause we had to go through security AGAIN), take our bags to another conveyor, go through security, and get to our gate for our connecting flight. In an hour and 15 minutes. In the busiest airport in the country. I was anxious. As we were standing in the security line, the airport personnel were trying to keep the line moving. They understood that EVERYONE had a flight to catch so they were asking people to keep moving and fill in the gaps and they weren’t exactly rude about it but they weren’t exactly coddling anyone either. This family in front of me, mom, dad, 4 kids were bothered by this. (it’s like God puts me in these situations on purpose, either for hilarity on my blog, or to test my patience, or to remind me why BB and I don’t want kids) The dad said, “Welcome back to America! No more laid back Mexican people”. It was hilarious to me how differently we responded to this situation. I appreciated the fact that they understood I had a plane to catch and was happy that they were hurrying people instead of stopping to say, buy some yams, while the family in front of me were put off by their tone. It was about this time that the mom dropped every one’s passports. And by everyone I mean all 6 or 7 of them. Nice. I almost asked if she’d like me to hold them. Anything to move it along people. I’m always fascinated by these experiences and the behavior of others.

We finally got through security and walked towards the departure board to make sure our gate hadn’t been changed. At this point we had about 15 minutes until our plane took off and I knew we had to get from Terminal E to Terminal B but we could make it. If we hustled. I saw that our gate hadn’t changed and also that next to our flight it was listed as “boarding” so I turned to head down the escalators to get on the train. It’s at this time that I’m met with 4 high school girls. My biggest pet peeve in life is people who stop in the middle of an aisle or right in front of a doorway without regard to who is behind them. And I’m already in a hurry. Not a good position for them to be in. I said politely (seriously, I was polite and patient) “excuse me”. They didn’t move. So I said, “Excuse me. EXCUSE me. EXCUSE ME!!!!” It was not until the 4th time that it actually registered with them that, oh, hey, that chick wants to get through our wall of immaturity and onto those escalators. Weird. We just thought she wanted to hang out right here in the middle with us for awhile. I’m pretty sure BB rolled his eyes or at the very least shook his head and wondered what kind of life he’d gotten himself into but I like to think he appreciated my assertiveness in this situation as it was crucial. We boarded the train and rode to Terminal B. As we were fast walking (not quite a run) to our gate, he called his brother to let him know we were going to make our plane and should be in KC on time. Our gate was the second to last one. Of course. As we approached I saw that NO one was left at the gate, this concerned me, were we the last ones, had we missed it? We got on with little problems, other than some guy who was sitting in our seats cause he thought no one was coming. A few other stragglers came in after us and then we were off. I was kind of anxious on this flight because everything else had gone so smoothly but once again, we were just fine. Our bags took forever so it was after 11pm by the time we got into the car. (We gained two hours though so it felt like 1am) We, again, basically hadn’t eaten for 14 hours because we didn’t have time so we were starving and I was craving Taco Bell, don’t ask me why. It was amazing. And walking into our house was amazing. Except for the snow. I wore shorts and flip flops because it was so hot there and on the planes that I figured a short walk outside in the KC cold would be ok. I didn’t realize I’d be walking through snow on our driveway in flip flops. Oops. And welcome back to reality.

This thing got way too long and I have a couple random other things to mention so I’ll probably be back this afternoon (big MMA fight tomorrow people!) Thanks for taking a trip to the Caribbean with us, hope you enjoyed it and at least laughed a couple times at my husbands sandal obsession or my impatience!


Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s